Beautiful Carslbad – The Hidden Gem With Lots of Family Activities
We’ve been guilty of driving past Carlsbad on the 5 freeway, on our way to San Diego, and never even thought to stop! So when we were invited to stay at the West Inn & Suites for a couple of nights, we were pleasantly surprised at what we found.
West Inn & Suites is located four blocks from the beach and within 5 minutes of LEGOLAND. The 86-room boutique hotel rated is #1 in Carlsbad and #12 best family hotel in the U.S. by TripAdvisor, offers a convenient location, affordable rates, and time and money saving amenities for families.
Carlsbad — known for its seven miles of uncrowded beaches, LEGOLAND, world- renowned golf and spas, and an abundance of outdoor activities — offers a classic seaside retreat for exploring the popular North San Diego coast.
West Inn & Suites is conveniently located where you will find:
• Gemological Institute of America – (1.2 miles) GIA has been showcasing some of the world’s rarest gemstones and jewels since 1931.
• Carlsbad Premium Outlets – (1.2 miles) for great outlet store shopping with an array of dining options.
• Carlsbad State Beach – (1.6 miles) for beach walking, surfing, swimming and relaxing in the sun.
• Museum of Making Music – (1.8 miles) for an interactive tour through music history with vast collections of vintage, unusual and interactive instruments.
• LEGOLAND- (2.0 miles) Ninjago is a new interactive ride that utilizes cutting-edge technology to enable guests to virtually throw fire balls, shock waves, ice and lightning to defeat villains.
• Golf at The Crossings at Carlsbad – (2.0 miles) an 18-hole championship municipal golf course with an ocean view.
• Carlsbad Village – (2.3 miles) for shopping, dining, arts and entertainment.
• Carlsbad Mineral Spring Spa – (2.5 miles) is housed on the site of the original historic mineral water well that brought thousands to Carlsbad in the 1880s for the touted “special healing powers” of the water.
• Aqua Hedionda Lagoon – (3.5 miles) this salt and freshwater lagoon offers an abundance of water sports including kayaking, standup paddle boarding, and wake boarding.
• Batiquitos Lagoon – (3.8 miles) for birdwatching in a 526-acre coastal salt marsh with tidal mud flats and and one of the few remaining tidal wetlands on the Southern California Coast. Over 185 species of birds can be seen here throughout the year.
The hotel offers free parking, no resort fee, free wi-fi, free movie rentals. Complimentary hot breakfast buffet is served every morning. You could also try the pop-up beach party – which includes a free shuttle to Carlsbad beach including umbrellas, towels, sand toys, and boogie boards. There is a shuttle service offered within 5 miles of the hotel. Freshly baked cookies and milk are available at bedtime.
While staying at the hotel, we would highly recommend you dine at Bistro West and West Steak & Seafood. Both restaurants are adjacent to the hotel, and here you will find authentic farm to table dining, that begins each day at the hotel owned West Farm. West Farm is three dedicated acres of farmland where most of all the herbs, fruits and vegetables are grown for the restaurants. The farm’s close proximity to the restaurants make it an ideal location for their chefs to plant, review and harvest the season’s produce daily. The nurturing and harvesting of the soil are performed by their team and culinary professionals who craft the menus around the seasons. May I recommend that you try the Bistro West’s Ahi Tartare, one of their signature appetizer dishes, and the dfresh Gumbo with a mix of prawns, mussels, crawfish, chicken, andouille sausage, rice and okra – delicious!
Just a two hour drive from the Santa Clarita Valley makes Carlsbad a perfect weekend getaway! Visit: www.westinnandsuites.com. For Bistro West visit www.bistrowest.com.
ADVERTISE WITH US
I hope your New Year is off to a wonderful start. We at élite Magazine have worked really hard to get this issue to you, there are so many great stories inside, here’s a brief run down. Our cover story is a truly dedicated young lady, Niamani Knight, a 16-year-old...read more
Cunning, smart, and so accomplished at only 16 years of age. Most teens are just worried about getting through high school let alone starting their own non-profit. As the founder of S.T.R.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts, and Manufacturing) Kids...read more
When you get to know Sally Colón-Petree, you get a sense that every morning she wakes up, the injustices and evil of the world say, “oh crap she’s up!” This marvelous woman has made such strides in raising awareness for those who are unable to or are too scared to...read more